Proper maintenance of your lawn mower prevents issues in the spring. Don’t be one of the hundreds of people struggling to start your lawnmower next spring.
Fall is a great time to install one our Tune Up Kits. You can find nearly all cables, belts, blades and hardware at themowershop.com.
Follow this checklist before you store your mower for the off season.
Prepare the fuel system
- Add a fuel stabilizer like Seafoam to any remaining fuel.
- Start the engine and allow it to run for at least 5 minutes.
- Either stop the engine, allow it to cool, then drain the fuel; or simply, allow the engine to run until it dies.
- Attempt to restart the engine. Repeat this step until the engine no longer starts.
- Loosen the drain plug on the carburetor and drain all remaining fuel.
- Store the mower with no fuel in the tank.
- Dispose of all remaining fuel in containers.
Maintain the cylinder
- Remove the spark plug.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of oil to the cylinder.
- Slowly pull the recoil rope. This turns the cylinder and distributes the oil.
- Replace the spark plug. (If you plan to tune up your mower now is a great time to change the spark plug)
- Pull the recoil once more until you feel tension. This closes the cylinder and the oil will protect against corrosion during storage.
Check wearable parts for defects and wear
- Recoil rope
- Handle knobs and bolts
- Wheel bolts, adjusters and knobs
- Wheel tread
- Replace any missing damaged or worn items. TheMowerShop.com offers a wide selection of parts with fast, free shipping.
Clean under lawn mower deck
- Turn mower on its side (make sure the air filter is up and the oil reservoir is facing down)
- Scrape all grass and debris from under deck and off lawnmower blade
- If you plan to tune up your mower, now is a great time to drain oil and change the blade
- Remove air filter cover and clean compartment.
- If you plan to tune up your mower, now is a great time to change the air filter.
Ready for Storage
- Properly cover the mower. A quality cover protects the appliance from dust and other airborne debris.